Monday 15 October 2007

GGNFS bounce!


GGNFS is cool! (and deservedly a standard reference implementation). But it would appear I have been a victim of the GGNFS "bounce", as Bob Backstrom would call it! I had almost collected enough relations to proceed to the linear algebra stage of my factorization attempt of C127_113_36 (for the xyyxf project), when this happened. Apparently, discarding heavy relations speeds up the later stage, but it's going to take me a while to replace those discarded relations. Bob assures me that this bounce will not happen again, and also suggests (as in fact I wondered) that it may well be possible to proceed to the LA immediately with msieve. However, since I'm fairly new at this (not having run even straight GGNFS before on a number this size), for now I think I've decided to wait, watch, and hopefully learn...

No comments: